Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Worn Relics: The Wedding Dress

Just before the January '09 Amsterdam Fashion Week, I sent away for a WORN_RELICS clothes tag, where it sat sadly on my desk unused until today.

For those that don't know, the concept behind WORN_RELICS is that every beloved piece of clothing has a story and a history behind it. On their website, they attempt to catalogue all of your stories about your most treasured fashion relics on one easy to reference (and update) website.

During January's Fashion Week they also hosted a Swap where you could donate your relic and swap it for another person's treasure- every item tagged with the actual story behind it, written by the previous owner. I unfortunately missed that event, but there is another coming up soon which I will be going to.

In the meantime, I logged on today and created the profile for my very own WORN_RELIC: my wedding dress.

On their site, you can flip through other relics, with other stories: those of fathers who made skirts for their daughters, of friends who borrowed a shirt only to fall in love with it and never give it back, or a simple jacket mixup from a night out in a club with a happy ending.

The WORN_RELICS concept is unique as far as I know, and it's a nice way to spend a few hours browsing online- almost as good as going vintage clothes shopping, but also in a way better- because with each piece you hear it's tale- the when's, where's and how's of each shoe, bag, or pair of jeans.

0 comments:

Post a Comment